Thursday, August 6, 2009

I thought that I might as well as start a blog about my renewed effort to stop smoking. As anyone knows that might have tried to stop smoking it is not easy. As of this writing I have stopped smoking as of July 10,2009. It sure is a “day at a time” endeavor. There are many ways to quit. I have known a few to quit “cold turkey”. That is not the way I have gone this time. I have once again started taking “commit lozenges”. I am taking quite a few as of this writing. I am taking the 4 mg type cappuccino flavored.

To be frank with you taking the lozenges is probably one of the tougher ways to do this. I have found from personal experience that the prescribed medication “Chantix” works best. However lately it has come out that there maybe unforeseen side effects when taking “Chantix”. Secondly, as of this writing it is only available with a prescription.

This morning July 28,09 I actually cut out the step circles out of the usage guide that are in the package you receive with the 72 pack of Commit lozenges. I put them on my calendar. I am hoping this will give me more a target and help guide my usage of the lozenges, which, for now is still at STEP 1. For STEP 1 it is recommended 1 lozenge every 1 to 2 hours for a period lasting up to 6 weeks.

To be frank with the readers I can’t be sure that I keep a strict regiment to this 1 lozenge every 1 to 2 hours. It is probably sometimes more and sometimes less depending on the cravings and the social setting. Nonetheless I know that they are not as bad for me as smoking and I can feel the positive effects that almost 3 weeks of no smoking has had for me.

At this point in my new non-smoking life I should probably talk about one of the exercises I do. It is a lung exercise. I breathe in deep and do notice that I can take in a little more air everyday. In turn I know this helps my brain. You may ask how so? It is quite simple my brain any other parts of my body is now getting more oxygen. I can’t say that I get any smarter. One of the good things I got when in the hospital last year was a little breathing machine. You maybe thinking this breathing machine is electric, it is not. I am able to measure lung capacity. You lung capacity should increase over time. I will include a picture.

Another nice benefit of not smoking is that I no longer at this point a little over 3 weeks have that cigarette taste in my mouth, when waking up. I usually think of a cigarette pretty quickly after waking up. In response to that craving I pop a lozenge in my mouth after eating something. I would have to say that the cravings are strongest in the morning. Sometimes that is best to just think things out. Knowing that I don’t just smoke one cigarette and that if I smoke one I’ll be “back and running”.

Today August 4, 2009 is just another morning to remind myself of the above positive effects. On to a probably not much talked about symptom of smoking. I am still clearing out my lungs and occasionally cough up. Eww! However the coughing up mucus is getting better and I am aware it is just the way that my lungs protect themselves from the smoke. To be frank with the readers that was one of the more significant side effects that got me to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment